VINTAGE MODEL POWER BOAT CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some BIG EeZeBilds..

2 posters

Go down

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Empty Some BIG EeZeBilds..

Post  Dodgy Geezer Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:36 am

Just to provide some counterpoint to the little card models of Mazak, here are a few 'double-sized' EeZeBilts. Still simple and cheap, and optimised for making by young kids but Aerokits-sized!

A Double-Curlew:

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. 01210

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Sh-00410

And a 50+ RAF Crash Tender:

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Shr-0010

Dodgy Geezer

http://eezebilt.modelboats.com

Back to top Go down

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Empty large curlew

Post  Mazak Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:11 am

I am about to try to load up a photo....if I dont succeed then I will send it to Eezibuilt
I am amazed that following the instructions that Dodgy Geezer gave me I have succeeded, I thought I was sure to get stuck somewhere. Owing to this success I may load up my photos from when I first started this project.
This is Curlew at 150% built from cardboard which I cadged from a photographers shop, its what they use to mount photos. The chap told me he has to send his offcuts to landfill, anyway I took away as much as I thought was enough. I will admit that I found it quite usefull, I wasn't so sure to begin with but making the wheelhouse with the assistance of an old bandsaw made the job so much easier, as cutting out the other parts as well, I cut out all the parts as per the drawing on the band saw, the only place I used balsa wood was making the keel and laying the skins on in 1/8 inch Balsa wood, there is also a 1/4 inch transom as well as the 1/16 cardboard, I have also put a layer of 1/16 plywood on the deck as I wanted to try my hand at lining as per deck planking. I used a little balsa in the roof of the wheel house as I knew that was going to be where I would be handling it to lift it off. I also fitted some webs under the chine to support the lower skins.
The hull was tissued and doped as per aircraft practice, a few coats of thinned dope with a couple of normal strength...I may put another coat on before I start with the undercoat and rubbing down procedure. What really surprised me was to see the original Curlew against this enlarged version, the original looks so tiny in comparison, its just about as long as the cabin and wheelhouse..!
Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4113[

Last edited by Mazak on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mazak

Back to top Go down

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Empty Re: Some BIG EeZeBilds..

Post  Dodgy Geezer Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:40 am

That's a really cheap way to make boats! Actually, the Curlew looks a lot better at a bigger size. Have you angled the chine up at the front slightly? I think that this makes for better seaworthiness. And what sort of motor are you thinking of...?

Dodgy Geezer

http://eezebilt.modelboats.com

Back to top Go down

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Empty large curlew

Post  Mazak Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:20 pm

This enlarged version of Curlew is 150% larger than the original.
I haven't angled the chine but I have deepened the keel especially at the bows, so we shall see how it performs, I did the same with the original Curlew and also the Mermaid though not so pronounced as I have with this model. Haven't thought much about what motor to put in it yet.
I imagine a 380 would be big enough, it will be up front as per the original so it doesn't want to be too heavy unless its lively enough, maybe a speed 400 perhaps? ( only joking of course)
I'm in the process of adding the photos of the build from the cardboard that I cadged from the photo shop in town. The first job is to enlarge the drawings on a printer. Then I traced the drawings onto the cardboard then cut them out on a bandsaw which is a great help. Its quite hard going even with a stanley knife.
The next photo will show some of the parts assembled...I used PVA glue to stick the parts together.

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4114

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4116

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4117

In the photo above you can see the strips of balsa laid along the chines which will also be laid along the underside of the deck, this is to adhere the skins when they are glued on. This will be done using 1/8th inch Balsa sheet laid across the hull. Then it is sanded down to make a smooth surface for the skins to lay against when glued.

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4120

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4121

The above photo shows the "skins' laid on the hull.

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4122

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4124

The above photo shows the webs laid on the hull to support the skins on the underside of the hull. You can see where the hull has been sanded to allow the underside skins to lay against the side skins and the keel.

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4127

Notice the suns rays almost shining through the balsa wood.

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4128

Notice the angle of the keel, I think it could have been a little lower as it goes towards the stern, would have given a little more "V" shape to the transom, still, it could be altered without too much bother I think?
Bear in mind the completed hull is given two or three coats of thinned 50/50 dope,lightly sanded in between coats, then a layer of tissue applied with full strength dope, again a light sanding in between additional coats. I would imagine 2 would be enough. Then we can start with the paintwork. I should have mentioned before that the keel is fitted before the lower skins are added leaving a gap for the Sterntube/propshaft. Its laid along the chine platform down to the transom.

The next photo shows the thin plywood deck being fitted, this is my own idea as I wanted to simulate a planked deck finish.

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4129

Here is a photo of two Curlew's the difference in size is surprising when the larger one is only 150% bigger than the original. The smaller Curlew was made from cardboard same as you find on the back of writing pads.

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4131

Another photo of the nearly complete Curlew.....

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4133

The cabin was covered in thin cardboard from packaging taken from a food item and then lined to simulate wood, painted with wood preservative, ( same as used on a wooden fence) I could have done the deck in the same way with thin cardboard but I wanted to ensure the strength of the hull, I did in fact paint the deck in the same wood preservative giving it two coats, a light rubbing down between coats of course. I'm pretty sure the cardboard used in the construction of the hull is quite strong, so maybe next time I will have a little more faith in it.
I have still to paint the hull and to fit a few odds and ends, I find that those small items make a model look more realistic than just a bare hull, so it wont be long now.
The "stand" also is made from cardboard but 3 ply corrugated cardboard this time.

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4134

Here is the finished boat....

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Img_4138

Last edited by Mazak on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:14 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : adding photos and text.)

Mazak

Back to top Go down

Some BIG EeZeBilds.. Empty Re: Some BIG EeZeBilds..

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum