VINTAGE MODEL POWER BOAT CLUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sea Queen restoration - Advice sought

2 posters

Go down

Sea Queen restoration - Advice sought Empty Sea Queen restoration - Advice sought

Post  martini Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi, I am relatively new to model boats. I restored a Sea Queen a few years back,although it was in pretty good condition already. I now have a second Sea Queen which was in a much worse state. Wood worm in the transom, rot in the bow a few broken bits here and there. I've got most of this sorted out and in this case I've stripped all the paint off.

If interested I can post photos.

I had heard using something like Z-pozy finishing resin could be used to strengthen the hull. Do I need to use fibre glass tissue as well?.

Also do I need to reseal the hull after removing the paint before I apply the Z-pozy

Strangely for all the problems this boat has I don't think it had been used before as it previously had not had a hole made for the rudder shaft.

I wondered what advice there might be for running gear?

I've tried to fit a standard motor (pretty large) and had thought of using a 12v 7a SLA - which I had put in the earlier boat.

Problem with this later boat is that the angle made through the hull for the prop shaft is very shallow so the motor sits very low in the boat - ie almost impossible. I've tried using the longest Raboesch shaft I could find (17") - which is still too low and if I get a longer one it will push the motor way up the front of the boat. Can take pics to demonstrate if needed.

I wondered if using a brushless setup might mean that the motor would be a little smaller in diameter and thus easier to accommodate.

I've absolutely no experience of using brushless motors and batteries and wondered what might be recommended here.

All advice greatfully received

martini

Back to top Go down

Sea Queen restoration - Advice sought Empty Re: Sea Queen restoration - Advice sought

Post  froggyt996 Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:47 am

this is a video of my sea queen with a bushless set up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6JQ7bopdE

froggyt996
froggyt996

http://www.kinglearmodelboatclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Sea Queen restoration - Advice sought Empty Brushless setup for Sea Queen

Post  martini Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi, Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I see that this was done about four years ago and I guess things have moved on since then. Is there anything that you would change knowing what you do now?

Did you have to put any ballast into the boat?

With the (brush motor) setup I had intended I was going to see if I could fit a 12v 7A SLA battery in the rearmost compartment to keep the back end down.

I guess the batteries that you used are easier to accomodate and weigh less too?

Also I'm having to install a much longer propshaft due to the original angle being quite shallow. This will push the motor further forward.

Would you still recommend a four blade prop?

Many thanks

martini

Back to top Go down

Sea Queen restoration - Advice sought Empty Re: Sea Queen restoration - Advice sought

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum